The world is changing. We’re living longer, healthier lives, and that’s reflected in the number of people who own an air fryer.
But if you’re struggling with an air fryer, then you might be suffering from a few of air fryer problems. And if you don’t get the right advice, then you could end up frying your new $300 kitchen appliance, or worse, end up with an appliance that simply doesn’t work. Anyone who has ever used an air fryer knows that they have a wonderful tool to fry foods without using a lot of oil and without creating a lot of mess. They are a healthier alternative to traditional fryers that also leave your kitchen a lot less greasy than a traditional fryer would.
We went and did the research. And we rounded up the 12 most common air fryer problems and how to fix them. So that you would love to see whether the newly bought air fryer is working properly or not.
The best way to figure out why your air fryer isn’t working is to turn it on and see what happens. This will help you understand what an air fryer is doing when it doesn’t work properly. It could also allow you to create new adjustments to make your air fryer work faster and more efficiently.
Even better, it fits easily out of the way and is typically much small than a traditional fryer. However, just like any progressive appliance, they can have issues that can be a deal-breaker if you do not know how to fix them. Here are three common problems air fryers have and how to fix them.
List of Common Air Fryer Problems
Air fryers are very forgiving, but they do have their quirks, and some common air fryer problems can be difficult to fix. If you notice any of these problems, don’t panic! Most of the air fryer problems are easy to solve.
|COMMON AIR FRYER PROBLEMS|
|Food browns too quickly|
|The food doesn’t crisp or brown.|
|The temperature is not stable|
|The machine has a strong smell of burnt oil|
|The basket gets clogged|
|The unit stops working or The unit doesn’t turn on|
|The machine doesn’t heat up|
|The unit doesn’t stop heating or The unit stops heating|
|The food doesn’t release easily or The food is stuck in the basket|
Let’s thoroughly interrogate the common air fryer problems in deep
The universe of air fryers is a fairly new one, and subsequently many individuals don’t know about the entanglements and basic air fryer problems they may confront when utilizing this unique kitchen machine. That is the reason I chose to compose this article, to help ongoing adopters of air fryers find a good pace.
I can recollect feeling frightened (thinking my air singing days were finished) when I experienced a portion of these issues unexpectedly! Thus, get an espresso (or a glass of wine). Take a load off into the universe of air fryers!! Here are the most common air fryer issuees you could experience with an air fryer!
My Food Is Too Soggy, Dry, or Chewy
This is probably the easiest problem to fix with an air fryer.
Most people believe that an air fryer is a healthy alternative to deep-frying, so they avoid the oil altogether.
- Unfortunately, while it is a much healthier alternative, it is not quite as healthy as baking unless you want soggy, chewy, or dry “fried” foods.
- To avoid this problem, it is best to coat your foods with a light layer of oil in the air fryer.
- This allows for the frying to not completely dry out or overcook your food.
Air Fryer Releases White Smoke
White smoke is a much easier problem than black smoke. Black smoke needs a repair shop to be fixed.
White smoke is something you can fix on your own, this usually indicates too much fat on the foods you are cooking. While the smoke is not harmful, it can be unsettling.
- First, check your oil collection pan to make sure it is clean and clear of excess oil and fat.
- Additionally, try to use your air fryer with foods that are less fatty and cut off excess fat before cooking.
- A stunning issue for most new air fryer clients is the point at which they stroll back to their kitchen, just to think that it is loaded with stinky white smoke! It can leave a few people needing to dump air fricasseeing as a technique for cooking together! In any case, don’t be excessively rushed, there is an exit from this issue!
- The way around this is to keep something at the lower level of the air fryer to absorb any additional oil.
I have discovered the most ideal approach to do this type of air fryer problems that include just putting a cut of bread at the lower part of the air fryer’s cooking compartment.
The Air Fryer Is On, but It Is Not Getting Any Power
This may be a simple fix, or it may be time to get a new air fryer.
- First, check to make sure everything is properly connected and your circuit breaker is not blown.
- Then, check the timer to make sure it is not set yet. Sometimes, air fryers do not turn on if the timer is in the middle of a cooking session.
- If none of these solutions fix the problem, it is time to recycle your air fryer and upgrade to a newer model.
Peeling Off Non Sticky Coating
Not stick coating peeling off
This is the case when you buy cheap air fryer. I have seen this problem on most of the forums.
Air Fryer Non-Sticky coatings will be good to go for 10 years or more. So when you buy any new Air Fryer, you’ll get a set of non-stick screens that you can use to extend the life of your new appliance.
The non-stick coating on all Air Fryer screens is specially formulated to deliver more flavor and crisper air-fryer bread, chicken, fish, and vegetables without getting sticky or leaving a scent behind.
This is the issue of a stripping air searing crate or even the fundamental cooking compartment. At the point when I say stripping, I mean the non-stick covering is beginning to strip or piece off. This is very disturbing, as it is normal for individuals to stress over what is happening and what it will mean for your air-seared food.
Problem: My Food Remains Raw or Undercooked
If your food doesn’t seem to be getting cooked no matter how long you leave it in the air fryer, then there may be a problem with air circulation.
- To overcome on this sort of air fryer problems, Make sure that all the vents are open before you start cooking and when adding food like sliced potatoes.
- If this still does not work, the next thing is to remove some of the other items being cooked (such as frozen bacon) so that more heat can reach your food.
- You might also want to preheat your device by letting it run for 5 minutes or so before putting any food inside.
Problem: My Food Isn’t Getting Crispy Enough
Sometimes happens because of excess oil
This type of air fryer problems takes place if you’re using too much oil which will ultimately reduce the output of heat that’s needed for frying.
- You can even try using a non-stick spray in place of oil, but make sure it is an oil-free product.
- Also, make sure that you’re using enough food at a time.
- The largest pieces of meat or vegetables should not exceed what the air fryer can hold.
Problem: My Air Fryer Smells Like Burning Plastic
This problem is usually brought about by overheating.
If your device tends to overheat easily, then it might be time to clean it thoroughly and replace any parts that have become damaged over time.
- Check all the internal components for scorch marks and damage before getting started.
- You may also want to check if there are any accessories inside (like baskets or racks) that might not be intended for use with an air fryer yet still included in your package.
Problem: My Food Comes Out Wetter Than Normal
Excess liquid they release – not good for air frying!
Your air fryer is working but you end up with soggy fries, vegetables, or chicken. You might be tempted to blame this on the food itself but don’t – it’s most likely your fault and how you are using the air fryer.
The problem here is not that cooking takes place in a hot environment (because it does) but rather that the food has too much water in it. This is a common problem when we boil vegetables or fry chicken pieces because we pour off the excess liquid they release – not good for air frying!
There are three easy fixes to this type of air fryer problem:
- Dry your food before placing them into the basket.
- Cut your vegetables or chicken into smaller pieces.
- If you are making fries, cut them into long strips before drying and nuking.
This is also useful if you want to use your air fryer for cooking meat – it’ll help avoid the soggy coating that sometimes results from an hour in the fryer.
Problem: My Air Fryer Does Not Turn On or Heat Up at All
- The first thing you should check when your device isn’t working is whether or not you have sufficient power left.
- Check the cord to see if there are signs of fraying or damage
- Check for loose plugs. If the power is good then short-circuit and thermal protection might be turned on.
- Check your device’s user manual for instructions on how to turn these off.
If these aren’t turned off, you’ll need to replace your heating element. There are instructions on how to do this online, and you can purchase a new heating element at an electronics store.
Problem: The Exterior Is Browning Before the Interior Cooks
- Check if your food is arranged properly inside the basket.
- If there are empty spaces then more heat will escape, slowing down cooking time and causing uneven heating.
- Make sure to fill up every space with food so that the air fryer has no choice but to cook it thoroughly from all sides!
Problem: Air Fryer Toxic Odor
There’s really no clear standard for air fryers, and some use different oil than others. The oil could be contaminated, which could give off a “toxic” smell.Says David Scheller, a member of the Green Bay Air Fryer club
We got in touch with a member of the Green Bay Air Fryer club who was able to provide some insight into the problems with the air fryers out there.
Some of the manufacturers that do use quality oil are firing back. One Twitter user says his heatmap shows that his NutriChef SWZ isn’t emitting toxic gas. That’s why we suggest buying branded air fryers only.
Problem: Air Fryer Door Stop Closing
I have noticed few people are facing door-stopping issues.
- We would suggest not buying cheap air fryers.
- Don’t get lured by the low price of air fryers.
- Always go with the brand, once you buy this it stays up to 10 years and more.
Precautions to Take While Using Air Fryer
- Most air fryers have a long life if they are kept in good condition and cleaned properly and regularly.
- Make sure to keep your fryer cleared of excess oil and grease after each use and clean each piece thoroughly to avoid contaminations.
- Also, make sure to store your air fryer in a cool and dry location to avoid potential electrical damage. It may occur from improper storage.
- As long as it turns on and is not producing black smoke, your air fryer should continue to fry tasty and healthier versions of your favorite fried foods for years.
The Air Fryer Water Temperature Levels
– You want your air fryer to be in the high range when cooking. It should cook food to between 390 degrees and 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
– Use an infrared thermometer to check the temperature. We check this from the external surface of airfryer.
Some of Other Basic Problems!
Quality Issue With Air Fryer
The quality issues don’t stop at stripping containers. There have been various different issues being accounted for by an alarmingly enormous measure of clients.
Recently, I have been perusing various remarks by individuals disclosing to me that their new air fryer broiler is abruptly broken. Air fryers that are a half year old (or much more limited) abruptly will not turn on or work appropriately.
As I expressed above, tragically numerous quality issues were found in the early models of air fryers. I guess makers were in such a rush to get their most recent hot kitchen item out, that some key plan highlights were neglected!
Dry Or Not Fresh Food
A ton of new air fryer clients gripes that they prepared food noticeable all around fryer and it was dry, or that some “singed” style food was not fresh enough. This is on the lower that the air fryer cooks with hot air, and this by itself can prompt dry or non-firm results. Or then again the kind of fresh surface it gives isn’t tempting to many individuals! The hot air needs something to respond with to fresh your food better test.
Overcooked Or Consumed Food
This frequently happens when new air fryer clients cook things utilizing a formula from an ordinary stove. An air fryer is ordinarily a more extreme strategy for cooking, and in this manner, the cooking times are typically more limited.
While attempting another formula in an air fryer, it very well may be a smart thought to check your food frequently, to ensure it doesn’t get singed or overcooked. As you become acclimated to your specific air fryer, you will actually want to improve your feel for these timings.
Generally, air singed food takes around 10-15 percent more limited (time-wise) than in a normal stove. Albeit this can differ contingent upon your model of the air fryer.
Air Fryer Won’t Switch On Or Switches Off?
This is probably the most common misconception with a convection-oven style Air Fryer and one of the main complaints I’ve heard about them online.
Air Fryers are known for their ability to cook in a short period of time and are very popular with people wanting to impress their dinner guests without the effort of a whole oven. However, what many people don’t know is that when the Air Fryer is in Air Fryer mode, the air circulates constantly, making the cooking environment very hot and allowing grease to build upon the inner sides of the container.
Because of this, the Air Fryer won’t turn on at the first request, it will take some time before the machine is ready. I would recommend using the timer switch or some sort of visual cue to indicate that it is ready to go. This will save you time on a busy day when you will definitely need the oven.
REVIEWING SOME OF COMMON FAQ’s [Air Fryer Problems]
Why Does My Power Air Fryer Smell Like Plastic?
The plastic smell will go away but if you own a basket air fryer then be aware that the smell will last until the basket gets washed and dried.
Why Is My Air Fryer Peeling?
When coating air fryers in a non-stick finish, most of the ingredients of non-stick coating fall away in the excess amount of heat.
That means, if the air fryer doesn’t get exposed to high temperatures, it’s likely the coating won’t peel off.
How to troubleshoot common air fryer problems?
Below mentioned are three of the main problems that can be trouble shooted with the proper knowledge.
The air fryer may not heat up properly: If you suspect this problem, you should remove the basket and inspect the temperature gauge on the side.
The air fryer may not work properly: You should first unplug the air fryer and inspect its main unit to find out if there is any damage. Next, turn off the power supply to the air fryer and inspect the heating element to see if there are any visible signs of damage.
The air fryer may not heat up at all: If you suspect that this problem exists, then you should first unplug the air fryer, and remove the basket. Next, inspect the temperature gauge and make sure that it’s not broken or defective.
Does the air fryer work better with more oil?
This is a common misconception about the air fryer. In fact, more oil is better in air fryers since it makes the food stick better to the tray, thus reducing the chances of spillage.
If you use a little oil, you’ll get better results, but too much oil will reduce the overall cooking time.
What is the best way to heat an air fryer?
Basically, An air fryer convection oven, which uses hot air to cook food. If you don’t want to use an external heating element, you can use a standard convection oven instead. But, if you want a quick and convenient way to cook food in the comfort of your home, you can use an air fryer instead.
The Larger Air Fryer Is the Best Choice
There are many people who use an air fryer that is the size of a toaster. But what they don’t realize is that a small air fryer simply cannot cook foods as well as the largest air fryers can.
This is because smaller air fryers don’t have enough room for oil or oil mixtures. So you will be able to cook the same amount of food at a higher temperature, but the taste will be different. If you want great-tasting food that is fast, then a large air fryer.
Methodology: Common Air Fryer Problems
Air frying has become a staple of home cooking, and it’s a trend that won’t slow down anytime soon. It’s a healthier way to cook, with many studies showing that fried foods are not as healthy as they are made out to be. That said, it’s also important to understand how to deal with air fryer problems.
We hope this guide has helped you understand some of the common problems that arise with air fryers. If you’re still having problems, we recommend contacting a local appliance repair center to get your air fryer fixed. They’ll be able to help you with any issues you’re facing.
WATCH OUT FOR 👇