Things are changing. The number of people who own an air fryer shows that we are living longer and healthier lives.
But if you’re having trouble with common air fryer problems, you might be doing something wrong. And if you don’t get the right advice on how to use your air fryer, you could fry your $300 kitchen appliance or, even worse, end up with one that doesn’t work at all. Anyone who has ever used an air fryer knows that it is a great way to fry food without using a lot of oil and doesn’t make a lot of mess.
Air Fryers are the most healthier alternative to traditional fryers and leave your kitchen much less greasy than traditional fryers do. We went and looked into it. And we put together a list of the 12 most common air fryer problems and how to fix them. So you would love to see if the air fryer you just bought is working right or not.
The best way to figure out why your air fryer isn’t working is to turn it on and see what happens. This will help you understand what an air fryer is doing when it doesn’t work properly. It could also allow you to create new adjustments to make your air fryer work faster and more efficiently.
Even better, it fits easily out of the way and is typically much small than a traditional fryer. However, just like any progressive appliance, they can have issues that can be a deal-breaker if you do not know how to fix them. Here are the common problems air fryers have and how to fix them.
If your air fryer isn’t working, the best way to figure out why is to turn it on and see what happens. This will help you figure out what an air fryer does when it’s not working right. It could also let you make new changes to your air fryer to make it work faster and better.
Even better, it’s easy to move out of the way and is usually much smaller than a regular fryer. But, just like any other modern appliance, they can have problems that can ruin the deal if you don’t know how to fix them. Here are the air fryer problems that often come up and how to fix them.
List of Common Air Fryer Problems
Air fryers are pretty easy to use, but they do have their quirks, and some of the most common air fryer problems can be hard to fix. Don’t worry if you notice any of these things. Most things that go wrong with an air fryer are easy to fix.
COMMON AIR FRYER PROBLEMS
- Food browns too quickly
- Food burns.
- The food doesn’t crisp or brown
- The temperature is not stable
- The machine has a strong smell of burnt oil
- The basket gets clogged
- The unit stops working or The unit doesn’t turn on
- The machine doesn’t heat up
- The unit doesn’t stop heating or The unit stops heating
- The food doesn’t release easily or The food is stuck in the basket
Let’s Thoroughly Interrogate the Common Air Fryer Problems
Since air fryers are still fairly new, many people don’t know about the complications and basic air fryer problems they might face when using this unique kitchen appliance. So, I chose to write this article to help people who already use air fryers find a good rhythm.
When some of these things happened to me out of the blue, I remember being scared and thinking that my days of air frying were over. Thus, get an espresso (or a glass of wine). Relax and explore the world of air fryers! Here are some of the most common air fryer problems.
My Food Is Too Soggy, Dry, or Chewy
This is probably the easiest problem to fix with an air fryer.
Most people think that an air fryer is a healthier way to cook than deep-frying in oil, so they never use oil.
- Even though it’s a much healthier alternative, it’s not quite as healthy as baking, unless you want your French fries soggy, chewy, or dry.
- To avoid this, you should coat your food with a thin layer of oil before putting it in the air fryer.
- This makes it so that your food doesn’t get too dry or overcooked in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Releases White Smoke
White smoke is a much easier problem than black smoke. Black smoke needs a repair shop to be fixed.
You can fix white smoke on your own. It usually means that there is too much fat in the food you are cooking. Even though the smoke isn’t dangerous, it can be scary.
- First, make sure your oil collection pan is clean and free of any extra oil or fat.
- Also, try to cook less fatty foods in your air fryer and cut off any extra fat before cooking.
- Most people who just bought an air fryer are surprised when they walk back to their kitchen and see that the air fryer basket is full of stinky white smoke.
- It might make some people want to give up on air fricasseeing as a way to cook together. In any case, don’t be in a hurry. There is a way out of this problem!
- You can get around this by putting something at the bottom of the air fryer to soak up any extra oil.
I have found the best way to fix this problem is with an air fryer. All you have to do is put a piece of bread in the lower part of the cooking compartment.
The Air Fryer Is On, but It Is Not Getting Any Power
This may be a simple fix, or it may be time to get a new air fryer.
- First, make sure that everything is connected correctly & the electricity is circulating properly, and that your circuit breaker hasn’t tripped.
- Then, make sure the timer hasn’t already been set. When the timer is in the middle of cooking, air fryers don’t always turn on.
- If none of these fixes work, it’s time to get rid of your old air fryer and buy a newer one.
Peeling Off Non Sticky Coating
Not stick coating peeling off
If none of these fixes work, it’s time to get rid of your old air fryer and buy a newer one.
Air Fryer Non-Sticky coatings will be good to go for 10 years or more. So when you buy any new Air Fryer, you’ll get a set of non-stick screens that you can use to extend the life of your new appliance.
All Air Fryer screens have a non-stick coating that is made to make bread, chicken, fish, and vegetables taste better and get crisper without getting sticky or leaving a smell.
This is the problem with a stripping air searing crate or even the basic cooking compartment. When I say “stripping,” I mean that the non-stick coating is starting to come off. This is very upsetting, and it’s natural for people to worry about what’s going on and what it will mean for their air-fried and air-seared food.
My Food Remains Raw or Under cooked
If your food doesn’t seem to be getting cooked no matter how long you leave it in the air fryer, then there may be a problem with air circulation.
- To fix this kind of air fryer problem, make sure all the vents are open before you start cooking and when adding food like sliced potatoes.
- If that doesn’t work, take out some of the other things you’re cooking, like frozen bacon, so that more heat can reach your food.
- You might also want to preheat your device by turning it on and letting it run for about 5 minutes before you put food in it.
My Food Isn’t Getting Crispy Enough
Sometimes happens because of excess oil
This kind of air fryer problem happens when you use too much oil, which reduces the amount of heat needed to fry food.
- You could also try a nonstick oil sprayer instead of oil, but make sure it doesn’t contain oil so that you can get crispy texture.
- Also, make sure you are using the right amount of food at a time.
- The biggest meat or vegetable pieces shouldn’t be bigger than what the air fryer can hold.
My Air Fryer Smells Like Burning Plastic
This problem is usually brought about by overheating.
Fix the problem if your device tends to get too hot. It might be time to give it a good cleaning and replace any parts that have worn out over time to cook properly.
- Fix the problem if your device tends to get too hot. It might be time to give it a good cleaning and replace any parts that have worn out over time.
- Before you start, check all the internal parts for burn marks and damage.
- You might also want to look inside to see if there are any parts (like baskets or racks) that might not be made for an air fryer but are still in the box.
- My food comes out a lot wetter than usual.
My Food Comes Out Wetter Than Normal
Excess liquid they release – not good for air frying!
Your air fryer works, but the fries, vegetables, or chicken you make come out soggy. You might be tempted to say this is because of the food, but it’s probably because of how you are using the air fryer.
The problem here is not that food is cooked in a hot place (which it is), but that it has too much water in it. When we boil vegetables or fry chicken pieces, we usually pour off the extra water they give off, which is not good for air frying.
There are three easy fixes to this type of air fryer problem:
- Before you put your food in the basket, you should dry it.
- Cut up your chicken or vegetables so they are easier to eat.
- Before drying and microwaving fries, cut them into long strips
- Don’t overcrowd the food basket.
This is also helpful if you want to cook meat in your air fryer. It will help you avoid the soggy coating that can happen after an hour in the fryer.
My Air Fryer Does Not Turn On or Heat Up at All
- If your device isn’t working, the first thing you should do is see if you still have enough power.
- Check the cord to see if it is frayed or has been damaged.
- Look for loose plugs. Short-circuit and thermal protection might be turned on if the power is good.
- Check the user guide for your device to find out how to turn these off.
If these aren’t turned off, your heating element will need to be replaced. You can find instructions for doing this online, and a new heating element can be bought at an electronics store.
The Exterior Is Browning Before the Interior Cooks
- Check to see if your food is in the basket in the right way.
- If there are empty spaces, more heat will get out, which will slow down the cooking time and make the heat spread out.
- Make sure to put food in every space so that the air fryer has no choice but to cook it all the way through.
Air Fryer Toxic Odor
There’s really no clear standard for air fryers, and some use different oil than others. The oil could be contaminated, which could give off a “toxic” smell.Says David Scheller, a member of the Green Bay Air Fryer club
We talked to a member of the Green Bay Air Fryer club, who gave us some information about what was wrong with air fryers on the market.
Some companies that do use good oil are shooting back. One Twitter user says that his heat map shows that his NutriChef SWZ isn’t giving off toxic gas. So, we recommend only buying air fryers from well-known brands.
Air Fryer Door Stop Closing
I’ve seen that not many people have problems that can’t be solved.
- We don’t think you should buy cheap air fryers.
- Don’t be fooled by how cheap air fryers are.
- Always buy the brand name, because once you buy it, it will last at least 10 years.
Precautions to Take While Using Air Fryer
- Most air fryers last a long time if they are kept in good shape and cleaned regularly. To make sure your air fryer lasts as long as possible, make sure to take care of it.
- Make sure to clean your fryer well after each use and keep it free of extra oil and grease to keep it from getting dirty.
- Also, make sure to put your air fryer away in a cool, dry place to keep the electrics from getting damaged. It could be caused by bad storage.
- Your air fryer should keep making tasty, healthier versions of your favourite fried foods for years as long as it turns on and doesn’t make black smoke.
The Air Fryer Water Temperature Levels
- When cooking, you want your air fryer to be on high. It should be between 390 and 450 degrees Fahrenheit to cook food.
- To find out what the temperature is, use an infrared thermometer. This is something we check from the outside of the air fryer.
Some of Other Basic Problems
Quality Issue With Air Fryer
The quality problems don’t end with containers being stripped. There have been many problems that an alarmingly large number of clients have had to deal with.
Recently, I’ve been reading a lot of comments from people who say that their new air fryer broiler suddenly broke. Air fryers that are a half year old or older stop working or won’t turn on all of a sudden.
As I said above, the early models of air fryers had a lot of terrible quality problems. I guess the people who made the latest hot kitchen item were in such a hurry to get it out that some important parts of the plan were left out.
Dry Or Not Fresh Food
A lot of people who just got an air fryer complain that the food they cooked was dry or that “singed” style food wasn’t fresh enough. This is on the lower end because the air fryer cooks with hot air, which can cause the food to be dry or not firm. Or, on the other hand, many people don’t like the kind of fresh surface it gives. The hot circulating air needs something to react with in order to test how fresh your food is.
Overcooked Or Consumed Food
This often happens when people who just got an air fryer cook something using a recipe from a regular stove. Most of the time, an air fryer is a more difficult way to cook, so the cooking times are usually shorter.
When trying out a new recipe in an air fryer, it may be a good idea to check on your food often to make sure it doesn’t burn or get too done. As you get to know your air fryer better, you will want to get a better feel for these times.
Most of the time, air-singed food takes about 10–15% more time than food cooked in a normal stove. Even though this depends on the type of air fryer you have.
Air Fryer Won’t Switch On Or Switches Off?
This is probably the most common misunderstanding about an Air Fryer that works like a convection oven, and it’s one of the main things I’ve heard people say about them online.
Air fryers are known for being able to cook food quickly, and people who want to impress their dinner guests without having to use a whole oven often use them. But what many people don’t know is that when the Air Fryer is in Air Fryer mode, the air flows constantly, making the cooking environment very hot and allowing grease to build up on the inside of the container.
Because of this, the Air Fryer won’t turn on the first time you ask it to. It will take some time before the machine is ready. I’d suggest using the timer switch or some other way to show that it’s ready to go. This will save you time when you need to use the oven on a busy day.
REVIEWING SOME OF COMMON FAQ’s [Air Fryer Problems]
Why Does My Power Air Fryer Smell Like Plastic?
The plastic smell will go away but if you own a basket air fryer then be aware that the smell will last until the basket gets washed and dried.
Why Is My Air Fryer Peeling?
When coating air fryers in a non-stick finish, most of the ingredients of non-stick coating fall away in the excess amount of heat.That means, if the air fryer doesn't get exposed to high temperatures, it's likely the coating won't peel off.
How to troubleshoot common air fryer problems?
Below mentioned are three of the main problems that can be trouble shooted with the proper knowledge.
The air fryer may not heat up properly: If you suspect this problem, you should remove the basket and inspect the temperature gauge on the side.
The air fryer may not work properly: You should first unplug the air fryer and inspect its main unit to find out if there is any damage. Next, turn off the power supply to the air fryer and inspect the heating element to see if there are any visible signs of damage.
The air fryer may not heat up at all: If you suspect that this problem exists, then you should first unplug the air fryer, and remove the basket. Next, inspect the temperature gauge and make sure that it’s not broken or defective.
Does the air fryer work better with more oil?
This is a common misconception about the air fryer. In fact, more oil is better in air fryers since it makes the food stick better to the tray, thus reducing the chances of spillage.
If you use a little oil, you’ll get better results, but too much oil will reduce the overall cooking time.
What is the best way to heat an air fryer?
Basically, An air fryer convection oven, which uses hot air to cook food. If you don’t want to use an external heating element, you can use a standard convection oven instead. But, if you want a quick and convenient way to cook food in the comfort of your home, you can use an air fryer instead.
The Larger Air Fryer Is the Best Choice
A toaster-sized air fryer is used by a lot of people. But what they don’t realise is that a small air fryer can’t cook food as well as the biggest ones can.
This is because oil or oil mixtures don’t fit in smaller air fryers. So you can cook the same amount of food at a higher temperature, but it won’t taste the same. If you want to cook food quickly that tastes great, you should get a large air fryer.
Methodology: Common Air Fryer Problems
Air-frying has become a common way to cook at home, and that’s not going to change any time soon. Many studies have shown that fried foods are not as healthy as they are made out to be. Still, it’s important to know how to fix problems with an air fryer.
We hope that this guide has helped you learn about some of the most common issues with air fryers. If you’re still having trouble with your air fryer, we suggest you to contact the manufacturer.